Other people’s words about … life
Cookbooks are all about food and cooking, right?
But here’s what I found in a cookbook I borrowed from the library recently:
I generally don’t get into the whole ‘life quote’ thing; I pop them in a basket with mason jars and hip-hop yoga. But there’s a snowboarder I follow on Instagram called Kevin Pearce … who listed the non-negotiables in his life and it really stuck with me. I adapted the list to suit my life, but the fundamentals are still the same. When I am disciplined about making time for these rules, I find everything else falls into place easily and I am a better person, inside and out. That’s a good thing, right?
Make space for this:
- Start the day with exercise.
- Do yoga or meditate (even just 5 minutes): morning, noon and night.
- Eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Prepare food in advance so there’s no excuse to eat crap.
- Drink lots of water, at least 2 litres a day.
- Get outside, look around (not down at your screen) and listen.
- Be present!
- Take care of hygiene.
- Read and learn something new every day.
- Keep in touch with friends and family.
- Lead with your heart and keep your mind close behind.
- Remember that conscious breathing will always centre you.
- Be appreciative and be patient.
- Surround yourself with awesome, like-minded people.
- Sleep and rest, as much as you feel you need.
from ‘The Chef Gets Healthy’
by Tobie and Georgia Puttock
I have to confess: the recipes in the cookbook didn’t do much for me. I like my carbs! (Tobie and Georgia have eschewed carbs in the name of health.)
But I loved Tobie’s list.
It’s a recipe for life, not just for food.
And, as with all the best recipes, you can adapt it and make your own.
It’s a starting-point, I think —
a good one, too.